Tuesday, February 7, 2006

poetry and sound in daily living

Feist is good. Really, really good. Thanks be to Laura for lending me the CD. I put it in my Discman on the walk home from Tilley Hall last night (where she and I had just watched a delicious film on sound and noise and place and time, by Evelyn Glennie) and each step seemed to fit in with the lush songs. The concrete sidewalk, the trees bare by the side of the road, the couple I passed quickly as I walked--all part of the songs that were filling my head with a raw and jewelled beauty.

A little poetic? Yes, well. I'm also listening to Leonard Cohen being interviewed on the CBC. The man is a born poet. Even when he says "I brought [Irving Layton] a cheese danish," it's poetry.

I'm off to enjoy this sunny day. I'm glad that I'm able to wake at 8 am again. For many weeks there my head wouldn't leave the drowsy fog until 9:30 or 10, which was discouraging. I so love mornings, especially when I enter them willingly.

Sing with me, Feist fans:

"I got a man to stick it out
And make a home from a rented house
And we'll collect the moments one by one
I guess that's how the future's done
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map."

Mushaboom, sha boom, sha boom. That's all I have to say. Today.

Blog Archive