Thursday, February 2, 2006

make like a couch potato and chill with a hat on



That bug from before (apparently pink pills don’t kill it, just scare it a little and make it cry “Mommy!”) is back, trying to get back in to the oh-so-spacious condo housing it had the luck to squat in before. Meaning, my body. In order to head it off at the front doors, and not let it get any further in than the vestibule, I stayed home from Choir on Tuesday and also my night class last night, both of which I felt bad about. I really like singing in a group! It makes me feel good inside! I also really like discussing and debating environmental issues with other students, but oh well. What can you do.

Sickness always makes me a little uncomfortable, and not just in a sneezing-gross-all-over sort of way. I’ve come to realize I’m both sped up (by modern society? by my need to please others? by school?) and recalcitrant to slow down. So when I have to just hang out in pyjamas and chill, watching television, I find it hard. My efficient, productive brain is going “OK, what could I be doing right now?”

In lieu of burning out and being frustrated at having to take time to slow down and get lots of sleep, I prescribed for myself a program. It consists of the following:

  1. Not going on the Internet as much (it’s amazing how much that thing makes me feel I have so many obligations!)
  2. Yet, when I do, doing fun things like gazing at Simon and Maggie and Spunk in Ottawa, or reading the debate over Zach Braff, tee shirts and Jesus over at Jan’s.
  3. Eating egg salad sandwiches, slowly, while reading The Walrus, and sitting in the sunny kitchen.
  4. Sleeping in! Not waking up to an alarm!
  5. Filling out lists like the following (found on wockerjabby's livejournal, but also filled out by Maggie recently).

The List of Fours:

(*it should be noted here, Blogger is a bit of a wanker, and sometimes inserts spaces when I copy and paste from Microsoft Word. There is no rhyme or reason and you can't get rid of them. Ignore. Also,the more you write the word "four" the more you start to feel you're working in a French bakery.)


Four jobs I’ve Had:
1. Nanny.
2. Pie-baker and seller.
3. Potter’s assitant and Ceramics assistant (two different jobs but related)

4. Student. (If you don’t think Student counts, then Janitor. But I think student counts.)

Four Movies I Can Watch Over and Over:
1. You’ve Got Mail.
2. Camp.
3. Fantasia.
4. Moonstruck.

Four TV Shows I Love: (it should be noted I don’t watch TV shows with regularity except for Gilmore Girls, and I don’t really love that enough to put it on this list. Yet I watch it anyway. Huh.)
1. Sex and the City.
2. What Not To Wear.
3. The Nature of Things.
4. The Mercer Report.

Four Places I’ve Lived:
1.Whistler, British Columbia, Canada.
2. Cape Breton Island! Both Baddeck and North River.
3. Sydney, NSW, Australia.

4. Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada.

Four Places I’ve Vacationed:
1. Disney World, Orlando, Florida.
2. Newfoundland!
3. Port Stephens, NSW. (Tony’s sweet beach flat.)

4. San Francisco, California. (Where my wonderful uncles live.)

Four of My Favorite Dishes:
1.Mum’s pot roast, with potatoes, carrots, and a delicious mint jelly to eat it with.
2. Broccoli and Tofu in a Spicy Peanut Sauce (from Mollie Katzen’s Enchanted Broccoli Forest)
3. A really good soup of any kind, in a low flat bowl, accompanied with crusty bread and a small salad with a zingy vinaigrette.

4.Got to have a dessert on this list: Aunt Minnie’s Apple Cake (from More Moosewood Recipes) with a generous dollop of yoghurt on the side. Mmmm.

Four Sites I Visit Daily:
1. My own. (To see comments, and use the links section.)
2. Janarama.
3. Maggie’s LJ.

4. Not-so-daily, but I felt there should be a news one on here: The Globe and Mail.

Four Places I Would Rather Be Right Now: (I think this category a little unfair to the present moment. If there were places that really really merited being in other than here, I’d be there. I guess it could be renamed Places I Miss the Most Right Now.)
1. Cape Breton, snuggled up with one of Mum’s cats and reading a great book.
2. In Snowshoes, on top of a great snowy mountain, drinking hot chocolate from a thermos.
3. With Claire!
4. Australia—more specifically, Tasmania. More specifically, Hobart or Lorinna.

Four Bands/Singers that Always Make Me Feel Good: (I added this question)
1. Jamie Cullum
2. Jill Scott
3. Coldplay (cliché, I know, but who cares?)

4. Jewel’s song “Jupiter”… (singing to myself, “Venus de Milo in her half-baked shell…”)

Four Bloggers I’m Tagging:
1. Well, I can’t really tag anyone, this not being livejournal. I tag whoever has a blog to post their results on the blog, and whoever doesn’t, can leave answers to questions they like in the comments.

PS The Couch Potatoes are from here. I encourage you to check out the funky fibreglass sculptures of giant pigs!

Blog Archive