Sunday, October 30, 2005

a bee for the bean


I like this little honey bee, she's a lot like me right now. Kind of bizz-buzzing through the air, wrapped in the colors of fall, mostly happy in chic, modern and anonymous black, but with a hint of burnt-orange and a pale vanilla on her wings. Are her legs akimbo because she's being flung at something without much of an idea of what's ahead of her, but preparing nonetheless? Or is she flying, and we just have a strange perspective of what she's up to?

I also like the look of the picture. Like someone with ink pens created it, maybe in a night class while her kids are sleeping, or in her own studio by a river, or a homeless man in a shelter given the right tools. You never know.

In reality, it is from this page, which advocates the building of a bee garden:

"The first thing you should know is that by planting bee-attracting plants, you
can attract a diverse array of other wildlife as well. Butterflies, wasps, flies, hummingbirds and other pollinators will give you a bountiful harvest of fruits, vegetables, seeds and provide you with many hours of outdoor entertainment."
Hurray for diversity, that guard against the dangers of monocultures: disease and boredom.

Well, I'm just buzzing around the Internet avoiding doing a spot of work. It is another gorgeous fall day here, although we haven't had many. Last week it rained rather fiercely, and then tapered off to end the week with clouds and cool weather. Seb was here, so I ignored the Internet, though not my schoolwork. It was delightful to have him here, we went out to eat and checked out downtown and good food, watched films and hockey games and laughed a lot. I miss him something awful, and Christmas can't come soon enough. And that's all I'm going to say about that, for now.

Well, Aristotle calls. I'm going to keep that list of good things in mind as I go about my days this week. Olives, chocolate and stretches in the morning...what life is really all about.

Blog Archive