Sunday, October 10, 2004

day of discovery

Today, I got up around 10 and went for a run.

Let me clarify: I don't usually run. I love to walk, and hike, and cycle, but it's been ages since I felt compelled to run. But I woke up without an alarm, after having had a wonderful sleep in clean flannel sheets, after having watched Funny Face til 1 am, and woke with such energy (and with so much schoolwork ahead of me today) that I figured the best thing to do was to put on running shoes and go to the park.

Odell Park is going to save my sanity. It is 5 minutes walk from my house and the minute you enter it you don't feel you're in a city anymore. It is big (not sure how many sq. km, I'll find out), and has old-growth forest, and bike trails and little trails and people walking thier dogs. And I ran, for a good 30 minutes, through the forest, up and down hills, on bridges over creekbeds, between trees whose leaves were a glorious shade of yellow. A lot of these leaves had fallen and covered the path.

And I discovered that running, in the morning, when you have the urge, transforms your day. I feel powerful, I feel strong, I feel happy. I did my Latin in record time. I am now going to bake three pies (two pumpkins, one pecan) for dinner tonight with my friends. I am going to do my schoolwork and enjoy this long weekend. All the best to all of you, darling readers!

Blog Archive