Monday, September 20, 2004

still life with wind

Monday's walk down the sidewalk began with a slapstick comedy routine: Leah pulling up her tights the whole way to school. By putting on a pair of brown tights I must not have worn since I was in Brownies, I learned that there really is nowhere between 195 Kings College Road (home) and school (a distance of about 6-8 blocks) to stop, hide, and fix one's pantyhose. Only trees, houses, parked cars, and more houses. The routine was made even funnier by the fact that I was wearing said tights under a pair of purple corduroy pants rolled to 3/4 length (whether or not this was a bad fashion decision is not the matter here): I couldn't just stop and take the damn hose off, I had to walk along with the sensation that the waistline of my pants was sitting somewhere around mid-thigh, when in reality they were fine. I would scrinch along in the following manner: walk, walk, walk, see if anyone was around, quickly drop Biology textbook, reach hands into pants, hike up brown pantyhouse. Attempt to hold them through the pants material as I continued walking, fail miserably.

Needless to say, I will be trying on and using for a short period of time, any pair of pantyhose I intend to wear out of the house, way before I leave the premises.

Wow, is it getting wordy in here? I think my move to a university campus has emboldened my typing. That or my dendrites are growing.

So today has been, other than the pantyhose incident, pretty good. The sun is shining and the cold that lived in me last week is pretty much gone. (Thanks, Vitamin C!) I sat on the lawn earlier reading my Latin (and so, of course, doing anything but) and overheard some people near me talking about Australia, in an Australian accent, so I introduced myself and we had a long chat about WWOOFing, trams, and the walled city of Quebec. It was nice to talk about travel, and about something other than school, for a little bit.

I feel on top of things, and most importantly, able to take it one day at a time. Feeling a bit more like Mrs. Whiting than her daughter, in other words. (Not that I read that book, I'm just stealing that reference.) Now I'm waiting in the computer lab for 5:15 to roll around (like time is marbles, rolling on down the hallway) and I'll go to the choir meeting. It is looking to be a rather church-y type of choir but so far so good. There are 3 guys and countless girls, that's actually pretty representative of STU's male:female ratio in general, but oh well. It's been a long time since I was singing in a choir, and I didn't realize how much I missed it. I also hope I'll learn a bit how to read music, since that is a skill I don't have.

What else is new: well, not much. Life is sort of ticking along. I'm almost done "The Party's Over", by Richard Heinberg--amazing book, I highly recommend getting your hands on a copy, what he has to say is urgent and ought to be known and heeded by everyone. There's a change a coming! And I'm not going to get out the soapbox, because it's heavy and you've all heard it from me before. So, without further ado, adieu.

Blog Archive