Wednesday, June 16, 2010

this time I'm the time thief

It's Wednesday evening. I'm stealing a moment to post. That's how it feels these days to take time to do something like write a blog post or an email to a friend: stealing time.

I've got my money binder open on my desk/lap (my desk is rather small, one that someone gave me and I'm making do with), and piles of things all around me that don't feel like they're getting my full attention. Because, well, they're not. And I'm thinking, "I don't have time to write a well-thought out post! All I can really do is ramble for a few minutes and post it the night before!"

But, that just is what it is. "Just enough is plenty," right? I hope so.

I know that things are busy because I planned it that way - my schedule is filled with things that I put there. Which is good to remember sometimes. But I think that even if all I did was work one job, there would always be other things. There would be meals to make, family to be with, neighbours passing away (as one did this week). Food to grow or buy. And so on, and so on.

I've been thinking about multitasking. And the environment. And how we get so busy in our jobs and lives, and then have a consciousness moment where it's like, OH YEAH, holy crap, there is some serious shit going down in the world. And the two realities are side by side, just barely touching, but somehow not the same.

And that's where a lot of the anxiety comes from - from half the time feeling like the world is or could be seriously ending - or at least, you know, the world as I know it, as is hospitable to humans and to my culture - and the other half the time going about my business as if nothing has changed. I still drive a car. I still get stuff shipped to me from around the world. We're still going about our business as if nothing is wrong with the way we're doing things.

Yet some things are changing. And then - are they? It's hard to know - the world is a big place. There are a lot of people doing positive things out there, and there are also a lot of people NOT doing positive things. It really depends on what mood I'm in or on how much sleep I've had, how hopeful I feel.

Anyway. That's where my head's at right now. There and about sixty-two other places! Including but not limited to: all the day-to-day decision-making of work (which I usually forget about ten minutes later and have a hard time remembering - just what DID I do all day?), sailing lessons starting tomorrow, my writers' groups, yoga classes, et cetera. But - my family is now watching a movie and my "office" - the tiny desk and a few other desks and some makeshift shelves - is right behind the couch, and I get terribly distracted by movies playing right next to me. So I'll end it there for now.

Are you busy, like so busy you steal time? Or are you comfortably paced, and wondering what the fuss is all about?

PS STILL NO CAMERA! And that makes me a little bit pissed off. I called them today and asked them what the EFF was up. Well, I said it a lot nicer than that. Apparently the part is in, it's on the camera, I've been billed for it. It was supposed to get on the courier either Friday or Monday, and arrive Tuesday. Nada! So when I called they didn't know whether or not it had gotten on the courier. The girl who would know wasn't back from break, or something. They would call me back. And they didn't call me back.

Mind you, I know what that's like - at work, we're constantly getting calls. And most people have requests that they feel are super important, meanwhile, there are a bunch of things actually more important and ahead of them for attention. So, I'm pretty sympathetic. But still - I guess I was expecting a lot from a small, locally-owned business. And turns out - they're human too. Whaddaya know?

Blog Archive