Thursday, June 25, 2009

all fired up

My trip to another part of the island went well. I rang in summer by drinking ginger beer on the beach while sitting next to a roaring bonfire, with some friends old and new. There were also ketchup chips, hot dogs (with mustard and ketchup), and for dessert, s'mores. I mean, it really doesn't get much better than that.

Well, actually, it did: we also played dominos and chess, and then took pictures of the fire as it burnt down to embers. At one point in the evening there was even swimming in a frigid river that flowed straight out of the Highlands into the ocean. Mind you, the swimming didn't last very long! I had been dared - well, actually, what happened exactly was that after everyone else went in and I didn't, someone said, "I bet she won't go in," and so I had to after that, of course. But when I faux-bravely jumped right in, I found it hard to breathe, it was so cold! So I came out soon after. But oh, how much does cool, cool water soothe muggy skin.

The next day I drove home, through fog and over green mountains. I stopped and had my lunch by the ocean, eating a packed ham-and-swiss sandwich, corn chips and salsa, watching waves crash in. I also watched other people stop in the parking lot and get out and stretch their legs.

I made it home just in time to return my rental car and get ready for Monday. And now it's nearly the weekend again...

I like this whole posting-once-a-week thing. I think my posting day will be either Thursday or Friday for the next little while. It's a good length of time: it keeps me motivated to write, but enough time goes by between posts that I actually feel I have something to write about!

Also, I've rejuvenated the links on the left. I took out the blogs that weren't alive anymore, and put in some new ones that I've been reading lately. Enjoy!

Blog Archive