Wednesday, April 22, 2009

two-five


So, it's my birthday! Happy twenty-fifth birthday to me. I can't really believe that I'm actually twenty-five years old. It feels like I was six just yesterday. Twenty-five feels certainly adult, definitely grown-up. And I do feel that I'm at that stage in my life, I do feel grown-up sometimes. But other times - it feels like, "No, wait, other people are this old. Not me!"

Birthdays are special in my family, we always celebrate them in some way, whether it's a dinner out or a cake with ice cream, or a nice outing. I was talking to my brother this morning and he said,

"I'm sorry I don't have a present for you!"

"That's OK," I said, "The older I get, the less I --"

"Care?" He cut in. We do this often, try and finish each others' sentences. As often as not, though, we get it wrong, as he did here.

"No, I was going to say expect. The older I get the less I expect presents. But I still care! I like birthdays, I like celebrating them."

"Yeah, it's nice just to do something different for a birthday."

"Something you can remember later in the year, as having made the day special."

This year, I have a number of things on the agenda, and we'll see what actually ends up happening. I don't want to stress and rush just so I can have "done a special thing". However, the one thing I know for sure I want to do is attend my friend (and fellow member of the writers' group) Bill's book launch. He's launching his first novel, "The Rock in the Water," tonight at the Baddeck Library, and it looks to be a good time.

Oh and by the way, I'm cheating a little - these are photos from last year's birthday.

Blog Archive