Friday, January 25, 2008

rest in peace, heath


I was in a clothing store yesterday, trying on jeans. I always take my jeans for a "test drive", meaning, I walk out of the change room and around the shop a bit, to see how the jeans move. It was 11:30 on a Thursday, so the store was quiet. I walked past the two salesgirls who were chatting by a rack of shirts, and I overhead one say,

"It couldn't have been a suicide."

"Excuse me," I said, "Are you talking about Heath Ledger?"

"Yeah..." She said, and I commiserated, "I know! It's such a waste, it's so sad!" We exchanged those sort of sad and resigned faces that denote something tragic. None of us could believe it, we said. Then I kept on with my jeans-walking, and they kept on with their conversation.


*

Honestly? I know it might sound silly, but I find Heath Ledger's death quite sad. It's as shocking to me as hearing that someone in my own community, but who I didn't know very well, has passed away. (And that has been happening too frequently lately, as well.) I don't really have anything eloquent to say about it right now, but I just wanted to put this out there: the sense that strangely, without having been close to this person at all, I'm mourning him.

What about you?

Blog Archive