Tuesday, February 14, 2006

food and love, the two necessities

Last night for dinner I made baked salmon (drizzled with balsamic vinegar), lemon and thyme potatoes (steamed, then baked), and a small side salad of lettuce and chopped mushrooms, with my favorite herb vinaigrette, and had on the side a glass of Merlot. Michelle looked at my dinner (complete with placemat) and said, "That's not a typical student dinner!" I guess I'm not a typical student.

This morning I ate granola that I had made -- lately I've been on a granola kick, trying out the stuff from Aura Whole Foods, some that Laura made, and now my own -- and oh mama, it was good. The oats were sort of in clumps because I didn't break them up properly during the baking, and there were whole hazelnuts, chopped almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, dried currants (from Mum's garden), raisins, and walnuts. I put about a cup full in a bowl and had it for breakfast, along with bread with peanut butter and honey. If any of you want the recipe, let me know. Very easy to make, and the feeling of knowing where everything that's in your breakfast came from is so nice.

Oh yes, and Happy Valentine's Day to you all! Last year I wrote:

In the spirit of ...V-Day, what has been your best Valentine's Day present? Fill the comments box! I want to hear about hearts, flowers, ridiculous and delightful displays of affection, the most surprised or overjoyed you've been, or gifts you've given yourself. I know Valentine's Day isn't a true holiday, that the word on the street is that it was invented by a greeting card company, but heck--who cares? Any day where we get to celebrate hugs and kisses is alright by me.
...and I didn't get any replies! What, do all my readers hate romance? I know my life's not dishing it up these days, but I don't care. I still think a day where we celebrate love is a good idea.

Blog Archive