Monday, January 2, 2006

everything's just groovy

Things I'm glad for/noticing, upon returning to Fredericton:

--my slippers. How nice and comforting it is to slip (err) my feet back into their plush black depths and pad around.

--my computer with its high-tech speed, flat moniter and general all-around ease of use. Not that Mum's computer is a dinosaur or anything --wait, it is-- OK, not that I'm complaining... I'm not. It's just that when you get used to something processing at a lot slower rate than normal, and then return to what is (to everyone else) the normal rate, you feel like you're on the moon. So technologically advanced!!

--The furnishings of my wee bedroom--the lamp in the corner, the chair, the stereo. Oh, how simple pleasures can make my heart go pitter-pat.

Things I will miss/am missing:

--The sense of slowed-down-ness that home gives. Yes, the very same sense I just said I like realizing I have by contrasting it with the Internet. I really like the feeling that you can spend an afternoon tending a pot of soup, reading a book, and hanging out with the cats. I also miss the neighbourly-ness of small towns and Cape Breton in general--you know pretty much everyone who drives by and you wave even if you don't. I find (maybe this is just me, or maybe it's the city, or maybe a bit of both) that in the city, especially one you didn't grow up in, it's easy to lose that sense of "takin 'er easy", to feel you have to be more productive and speed yourself up. This can become such a vicious cycle.

So I guess I'm going to try and keep myself slowed-down. More sleep, and more time that I can spend doing things just for me will be good additions to my life, I think. I'm not quite sure how to finish up this post, I suppose I'm sort of rambling, but it's because I've just gotten back to Fredericton and it's that time when everything's both new and familiar and my feelings are both sad and happy. Mixed-up, cra-see, whatever you want to call it. Solution: some groovy tunes, some unpacking, and then some sleep. Also some tiger balm and attending to my still-clinging sickness. Then hopefully my next post (and a bit of my life) will come under my control.

Ah, who am I kidding, nothing's really under our control, is it? Except for the choice of what to play on the stereo, which is, for the record, a band called Kobeyashi, out of Montreal, who really groove. And that's what I need right now.

Blog Archive