Saturday, November 5, 2005

all hail parsnips!


I went to the market this morning with Gill and Marlo. Waking up at 8 am on a Saturday seems incongruous at first, but then once you're up and dressed, with a new blue scarf swung jauntily around your neck, with the cloth bags on your shoulder, walking down the leaf-covered sidewalk, keeping warm on a chilly morning, it feels right.

I bought:
--parsnips
--carrots
--eggs
--bread
--yogurt
--old cheddar cheese
--cottage cheese
--tomatoes
--salmon fillets
--a few Lebanese snacks
--a coffee with Gill, not at the market.
--the new Vogue, also not at the market.

All in all, a successful morning. After navigating the not-so-crowded hallways of the market, enjoying the smells and noises of food, drink, products, babies, and families, and filling our cloth bags with purchases, Gill and I headed downtown for a hot coffee. We lingered in the coffee shop, reading parts of the Weekend Globe--Gill the "Focus" and me the "Style". Now I'm back home, listening to Jewel and about to get some work done.

The picture above is from the site for Mariquita Farm, a CSA out in California. They have a list that answers that puzzling question: why buy local food, anyway? The pictures they have are really pretty too, so even if you just like photogenic foodstuffs, check them out.

Also, I just wanted to mention the 'elephant in the corner'--the fact that Seb and I have broken it off. Pretty much everyone who reads this already knows, so there you go. It's been a shitty week, but also a really "teaching" week. I've learned a lot about...oh, how to say it, the depths one can go to and still come back from? And how much one's 'support net' of friends really means. I'm not going to go into it, but I did want to mention it.

Once more: all hail parsnips!

Blog Archive