Monday, April 11, 2005

surreal pockets of delight


The snow is a godsend, really.

I mean, the weather's been just too perfect, and I'm meant to be studying. I've spent the weekend actively dallying, going to parties and a BBQ and to the bars and downtown and to the library on my bicycle. (Actually, I studied there. So that doesn't count.) It's been a great weekend, a nice break from school, and included lots of socializing and reading and thinking and talking, and sleeping and such. Not a lot of studying. But that's OK. When the weather's that great, who wants to be shackled to the books?

And then, this afternoon as I was walking back from downtown, it began to snow. Small white pellets, they looked a bit fake at first, collecting quickly in a coat on the street, and then blowing in little swirls and eddies as the breeze got hold of them. It's been a few hours now, and they're not staying on the ground, just drifting down through the air, evenly spaced and light. The air is chilly out, and I'm playing one of those new Bob Dylan records where he sounds so gritty--a blues merchant in the gravel pit. And, believe it or not, I'm actually going to begin studying.

Also: the photo is from here, and it is Dali's Santiago El Grande, 1957. That's the year my mother was born. It is also 407 cm x 304 cm, according to the website. I don't know if that gives you an idea of its size, so let me just say, it is gigantic in a very true sense of the word. Two stories tall, or maybe a little less. In any case, I sat in front of it today after Stephanie left the art gallery, just staring. There are so many parts to look at! So many surreal pockets of delight!

So now it's on to the books. Latin, Psychology, English, Economics and Biology. The last hurrah. I wonder--is there a thread that can link what I've learned in all five subjects? Perhaps that will be a future blog post, from the midst of the madness. But for now, I'm just glad it's snowing, and that I've gotten my bicycle fix from the weekend. Good day!

Posted by Hello

Blog Archive