Tuesday, November 2, 2004

the role of international relations at breakfast

Watching the TV coverage of "election night in the US", I get the weird feeling that outside my house, it's not real. I mean, I see so many things on TV that are repeats, playbacks of historical events, that this could be that too, contrived. It's not so much that someone's making it all up (that's in no way possible), it's more the slight disbelief that this night is finally here, after so much. It's much the same feeling you get upon graduation or (I would assume) a much-awaited wedding. That this is the moment "we've all been waiting for"--and now, Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States of America....(cue the applause).

My Poli Sci professor (the ebullient Masciulli) put his back out, so he won't be down at The Snooty Fox with the rest of the POLS faculty, watching the election coverage on television. (Remember that pub? I went there last weekend with Morgan, ate quality steak pie with mashed potatoes and gravy, and a big glass of draught). Then, he said in class, they're all going back to his place. I get a real kick out of those guys, I imagine them passing the pretzels to each other, making bets, speculating about globalization and talking Realism, Liberalism, and wondering about wild cards. They're debonair in a funny small-town way, wearing berets, knowing the names of foriegn capitals and leaders, but still shopping at the farmer's market, patronizing the local pub.

I'm going to ignore it all and watch Roman Holiday. I'll go to bed and wake up early, and see who won. (Or if we'll be listening to court deliberations for months on end.) Either cheer or regroup. I'll most likely still eat porridge for breakfast. Even international politics doesn't change that. With dates! And milk, and a little brown sugar!

Blog Archive