Wednesday, March 17, 2004

lose my way with words

“I’m never speaking up again, it only hurts me/I’d rather be a mystery than she desert me.”

I never talk about my love life particularly, you all know that. So pretend this is just general wisdom I'm imparting here, extracted from some random encounters that lead me to believe, today, this sunny sea-salt-smelling day, is generally all around perfect, and that John Mayer (quoted above) is dead, dead wrong. Speak up, lovers of the world! The fear of the hurt is worse, always, than the actual fact. And each thing you encounter is a trial (or a tribulation, sometimes I feel like I'm in the midst of a tremulous tribulation) which spits you out on the other side. I swear it does, it won't leave you broken. You can trust in what's between you.

I got off the train in Lewisham, bits of melted chocolate still on my fingers in places I wouldn't find til later when I went to touch my own cheek and would leave dark brown imprints, and directly ahead was the sun setting, and the clouds around it had gilted golden pink outlines, dazzling slivers around the puffy whites. My hands smelled like oysters and crab and bug and prawns and mussels, my bones felt happy-tired, like they would really appreciate a duvet.

My mind feels clear, and muddled too. Life appears to know what I need, and it makes it tenacious. For this I am most glad.

Blog Archive