Thursday, January 30, 2003

I'm not fully awake. I rolled out of bed at 7:24 after a dream about a grizzly bear trapping me in a series of lofts and ladders...made myself some granola and went upstairs to moniter the morning progress of the kids. We all got the big blue transit bus to the school and somehow got kids, snowpants, violin, lunches and Julia's massive schoolbag to the school, on time. I was walking back to the bus stop when I realized this--not fully awake yet. I'm hoping a little more food and then a long, beautiful, soothing and also maybe a little arduous swimming work-out might do the trick. I love the gym. I love the pool, I love the hot tub, I love the wet sauna. I love having a three-month pass for cheap because I'm still 18. I love giving myself enough time to do what I want to do.

I was reading excerpts from President Bush's State of the Union address yesterday, at Mogul's while I was having my lunch, and I literally had to put it down. I couldn't stomach any more smooth hypocrisy, accompanied by yet another photo of the virtuous yet moronic man with his little octopus mouth open and his stubby finger pointing, his Western hair all perfectly coifed. Who is he to decide what is justice, what is evil, what is right and wrong? He who is the Commander-in-chief of a country that posesses more nuclear weaponry than any other on Earth? He who is in charge of this country that has committed so many (and continues to, under his leadership) atrocities and offences, both to the land they call their own and abroad? And yet the speech-writers still have him say that Iraq is a threat to the safety of the American people. What about the safety of the Iraqi people? the rest of the world? And why is he not waging war on North Korea, as well? Could it have anything to do with the fact that they haven't got oil? Naw.....

Ah me. I'm feeling good these days, though, if not a little homesick. But that's to be expected, it's been three months since I've been home. And it will be another three at least. Directions are opening up, though; ideas about where I want to go and what I want to do (and what I'm capable of) are becoming a little more clear.

Time to go to the gym.

Blog Archive