Wednesday, October 5, 2011

they sell for less

These pictures were taken a month ago. What the jeebers...

I guess time goes faster when you have two jobs. Yup, I'm here to tell you that it does.

So the idea here was to take some pictures of Value Village. Of all the thrift stores on the island that I've been to, it's my favorite. The prices aren't super low, but they're not "boutique thrift" prices either, which tend to be higher.

I'm thinking it would be neat to do features on different thrift stores on Cape Breton. Or even just in the Sydney area. Maybe I will. (Maybe when I don't have two jobs anymore.)

What do you love about thrifting? Is it the thrill of the hunt? The sound of coat hangers sliding? I prefer the coat hanger approach to the bin approach. But others like bins better. To each her own.


I just love all the different patterns and textures you see in a thrift store. It can be very inspiring just to go and rummage around.

I lined up these glasses so the colours would be together. (A side note: I really don't care which way I spell the word 'color'. Honestly, it's not a matter of national pride for me. And I actually find it easier to go without the U.)


That particular day I resolved not to buy these glasses (6 for 2$). I thought, "I have nowhere to put them and I'm trying to downsize anyway."

The following week I went back, and they happened to still be there. I bought them. Two dollars, people. Someday I will have my own apartment or house and when I do, these glasses will rock the kitchen.

Me! Looking for a rad winter coat. Didn't find one that day.

Fun fact: the dress I'm wearing was originally purchased at this same Value Village, a couple of years ago.

Also fun: one of my favorite blogs, A Beautiful Mess, recently did a post of Thrift Tips. Check it out, it's a fun little read. And it will probably make you want to go right out to your nearest thrift store. Just a warning.

***

Currently: it's cold, a wind out of the north. Feels like fall. Properly. It's coming on to Thanksgiving and I think I might make my pumpkin cheesecake for this particular holiday. It's so decadent and spicy, just what you need to relax with after a lovely Thanksgiving meal with family.

I'm taking a few minutes to write because hey, I miss blogging! I read rad blogs every day (my favorites are over there on the right) and get all inspired, but don't have the time to follow through on all my blog post ideas. I wish I had more time to devote to it! I'd love to get all creative with my photos, photoshopping them right up with words and stuff. Gah. Can't do it all, but I want to!

Then after supper I'm off to my friend Flossie's house for sewing instruction. We're working on my Halloween costume on consecutive Wednesdays until it's done. Tonight is our first night.

I've been working a lot lately. Waitressing isn't as tiring as I thought it would be, but it is still tiring. I work from 8 to 5 at the marina, then change into my uniform and go over to the restaurant from 5:30 to close, which is 9 pm, plus however long it takes the last tables to finish up. So I get out of there anywhere between 10 and 11. I'm making OK money and that's good enough for me.

I do this sort of day for two days a week, sometimes three or four.

So yeah, a little busy.

Oh well - that's life for ya, and besides, I'm hopeful that things will quiet down once winter comes.

Oh yeah and I'm going to be in Portland, Maine, for New Year's Eve - anyone have any fun tips for that city? It will be new to Adam and I, we're looking forward to roaming a new city and eating out, checking out cool stuff.

AND Feist's new album is out now! Who else is excited!?!

Blog Archive