Thursday, May 6, 2010

morning


I want for time to stretch open like an accordion so I can fit so many more things inside.

Or maybe - time IS like an accordion - or at least, an accordion file, which I have more experience with, having never played an actual accordion - and the present moment is the file that's open. Then it gets filed away, squished up with the others, so quickly disappearing.

It's 7 am. I've been up for an hour. I'm getting used to this 6-am-rise thing, but still, for the first twenty minutes I feel like I'm still technically asleep as I get up, put on my bathrobe, go upstairs, use the washroom. Start the porridge. My eyes are puffy and blurry, I lean on things and close my eyes, like the window sill as the water comes to a boil.

I'm eating my breakfast as I type this. I type a sentence, then reach for the bowl, spoon some into my mouth, and chew as I type the next sentence. It's a sweet porridge this morning, I put dates into the boiling water before I added the oats. Then I put a spoonful of honey in the bottom of my bowl, and some cinnamon, and then put in the porridge. Some roasted sunflower seeds on top and we're done. Well, almost - milk, then stir. Then eat.


So what was I saying? Oh right, accordions. And time. Yes, time.

My new job seems to make time fly even more than it was. I'm busy from the moment I walk through the door to the moment I leave at the end of the day. I love it, too - the other day I even came back to work early from my lunch break! I found myself sitting there after I'd eaten - a delicious new veggie burger at the Highwheeler Cafe, FYI any Baddeckers in the audience - and feeling bored! And wanting to be back in the hustle and bustle of the shop. So, I went back. I rationalized it by saying that sometimes they let me go take a few minutes here or there for personal reasons, and that it all balances out. But really, I was bored and didn't want to sit somewhere for half an hour when I could get back to my projects and people.

The pictures are from the camera that lived at the house I was taking care of. My own camera is still not fixed - I won't even get into the drama - but I was able to use that one, and take a few shots while I was there. It annoyingly affixes dates to each photo, but oh well - beggars can't be choosers, right?

Blog Archive