Thursday, December 31, 2009

"new year, new you"

I don't generally subscribe to the idea that we have the ability to renew ourselves at New Year's, especially since it's usually touted by women's magazines as a reason to push ever more diets and reasons why we should hate our own bodies (only of course they don't word it like that).

But this year - something feels like it's shifting. New Year's Eve and New Year's Day always have some sort of meaning for me, and this year the switch from one year to another feels more symbolic than before.

For one, I just ended my account on Facebook. It happened to be now, but it could have been any time of year, really. I gave all my friends and contacts fair warning, gave them a week or so to get or give email addresses, and today - it went. I'm pretty sure I'll write more on this later - on why I left it, on how people reacted, and on what Facebook-less life is like.


Also, I've decided that this is going to be the year I move out on my own again. I'm scouting around for apartments and hope to have a place of my own by summer. Or fall at the latest. Woot! It's pretty exciting to start thinking about my own kitchen, my own living room. What it might be like to live right in the village, and walk and bike around.

But for now: it's New Year's Eve. I have sparklers, champagne, Haagen-Dasz ice cream, and really good company. Now that's a damn fine way to ring in 2010!

What about you?

Blog Archive