Thursday, October 22, 2009

fullness.

Thursday again. How did that come around again so soon?

Here's what I've been thinking about lately: the word FULL. Things are happening fast these days. Back to FULL-time work, and it's FULL-ON. Hit the ground running, project to get done in five months, lots to do. Well, I should say, I work two part-time jobs, but together they are filling up my week. One is a contract job through a non-profit organization, which runs until March. The other is my (yay!) permanent position with the (yay!) library.


Thanksgiving was ... when was it again? I want to say last weekend but that's actually not true. It was nearly TWO weeks ago. Holy crap! See what I mean? It feels like it just happened. And at the same time it feels like a month ago. FULL ON.

(I made a pumpkin cheesecake and it's pictured above. It was FULL of deliciousness. It "tasted as good as thin feels." Or better, actually.)

My room-mate from back in Fredericton - Marlo - visited me last weekend (which is nearly a week ago now - again I say, Holy Crap.) We had a marvelous time catching up after two years of not seeing each other. I rented a car and we drove to Cheticamp, up French Mountain and over to MacKenzie Mountain, before turning back and coming home again. On the way back we stopped at the ever-tempting Dancing Goat deli and cafe, and had big sandwiches and creamy soup, and of course sweet treats and coffee.

The picture above is of a beautiful fall vignette that we found just waiting for us to take its picture. Seriously FULL of magic.


What else? Well, life is full. I have my job(s). I am organizing square dancing lessons, and getting one of my favorite people in the world to teach them. (His name is Duncan, and he is one of my honorary Grandpas.) I am still the coordinator of the Baddeck Writers' Group, which is going FULL STEAM AHEAD at the moment - new members, old members, submissions, monthly meetings. And I am working hard to make sure that my days are also FULL of time to walk, to write, to spend time outside where I truly feel connected to the world, to the universe, to what some call God. FULL of spirit.

I think that when I moved home two years ago, there was an invisible slot that I FILLED. This is my dream life. Like Marlo said, during a walk we took together, of knowing that you are on the right path, "I don't worry that I'm not on the right path. But, I don't know fully where this is taking me. However, I'm enjoying seeing where the road goes." The twists and turns, the surprises, the unknown of the-moment-after-this-one.

Yes, there are still good days and bad days, "meh" days, anxious days, cranky days, back-pain days, silly-giggles days... I could go on. You get the idea. Meaning: happiness is not a static state. You don't get there, turn around like a cat going to sleep, settle in, and go, "OK, now I am done working on stuff and me and life. I'm done now. I can go to sleep for the rest of my life."

BUT

That doesn't mean that life doesn't rock. It's about balancing as a constant act, like that of waves coming onto shore - the fullness comes on strong, then you have to take time to let it recede, to let yourself feel it, to process it. Then it comes back. Feel the FULL.

Blog Archive