Sunday, December 30, 2007

of holidays, hot dogs and Jian Ghomeshi

The holiday season is nearly over, but to me it already feels done with, even if the symbolic and literal shift from 2007 to 2008, otherwise known as New Year's Eve, hasn't happened yet. My brother has gone back to the town six hours away where he attends college. My friends, likewise, have left town to return to university or college. The Christmas tree is still up, but the stack of colorful presents underneath it has been dismantled, and the piles of paper and ribbon which the present-opening created have been cleaned up, and the presents taken away to bedrooms.

Under the tree, we still have the crèche that we've had for so long that most of the moss has come off its spare roof, and facial features have rubbed off the plastic Mary and Joseph figures. We put it up every year, regardless of its aging, regardless of the fact that we're not Christian. Also under the tree, still, are two boxes of chocolate fondue, a kit to make beeswax candles, an exercise mat, and a few empty boxes. The chocolate fondue will no doubt go into the cold room to save. The candle-making kit and exercise mat are both mine, and I'm leaving them there until I can find a better place for them. The empty boxes, I suppose, could be moved to one of the two spots we keep empty boxes.

So things are somewhat back to normal, except that New Year's Eve hasn't yet happened, so technically the holiday season is still with us. As for what we'll be doing on New Year's Eve, well, personally I'm tempted to snowmobile to the top of the nearest high hill and BBQ some hotdogs, a la Wikipedia:
In Canada, New Year's traditions and celebrations vary from region to region. Generally, New Year's Eve in Canada is a social holiday, as in the neighbouring United States. In major metropolitan areas such as Toronto, major celebrations with music and fireworks are often held at Midnight. In rural areas and remote areas, people often take their snowmobiles to high hills, set up barbecues, and roast steaks or hotdogs. In some areas, such as in rural Quebec, people ice fish and drink with their friends until the early hours of January 1st. Traditions from other countries are also common due to Canada's cultural makeup.
However, not having a snowmobile, or any hot dogs for that matter, I'll have to re-think my plans. They'll be quiet, to be sure, and since there's a storm on the way, I'll probably remain indoors. And even though I do sort of feel like New Year's Eve is just another night, I do have a few traditions I like to uphold. One is staying up until midnight and being there when it turns from one year to the next. Another is thinking back to the year before, using a questionnaire that I read one year on wockerjabby's livejournal. These are the questions:

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
3. Did someone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
23. Any one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
30. Favorite film of this year?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who do you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.

I don't publish my answers on here or send them via email to all my friends, because I'm more likely to be completely honest with myself if I know I'm just filling it out for my eyes and no-one else's. However, having said that, here are my answers to numbers 16, 34, and 35. I'd love to see what your answers are, to these or to any of the questions! The comment box is ready and waiting.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Anything on Feist's album "The Reminder", especially "Limit to your Love".
Madeleine Peyroux's album "Half the Perfect World."
Molly Johnson's album "Messin Around."
The CD Ginger sent me -- a mix of songs by Ginny Owens.

34. What kept you sane?
My blog. My friends. DVDs. Long walks. Working out. My journal. Belly laughs. The cats. Hot showers. Good books.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Ohhhh... Jian Ghomeshi. Love that man.

Blog Archive