Wednesday, June 6, 2007

"we interrupt the intended broadcast to bring you this news..."

I know, I said I would bring you a piece on Catriona's cooking, and that's coming next. But I heard this today on Maritime Noon and it was too good not to share:

"There are other areas that are more grey--I call them grey areas..."

This wonderful piece of clarification is attributed to one Dave Sulas, a retired bank manager living in Port Hawkesbury, NS, who was being interviewed on the subject of bank tellers being shafted out of pay they are owed. When I heard him utter this line I had to laugh and write it down. And then I had to share it with all of you. I mean, maybe the guy was nervous to be on radio, so it's not entirely his fault. But it still cracks me up.

Other than that, these days I'm doing alright. The garden is starting to flesh out, or rather, green out, and all the trees around are putting out leaves. The gully between our house and the neighbouring property is now fully green, whereas in winter you can see right across. When I go for my daily walks, I smell the scent of Indian pear and wild cherry trees, which are blooming this time of year. There is a plant in the garden with tiny, clove-scented yellow flowers, and when I smell it I go right back to Australia: the Cashmans' back yard in the Australian spring (Fall here), when the air is full of the scent of flowering trees, often clove-scented like these wee flowers. It's amazing how scent does that!

I've got a few books on the go, one of which is "1491: New Revelations on America Before Columbus" by Charles C. Mann. It's a semi-scholarly work, but it pulls the reader in and rolls right along. Have any of you heard of it, or read it? What did you think? I'm only 50 pages in, so I can't comment completely, but it's a summary of the research of the past 20 years that is constructing a whole new picture of the Americas before Europeans--very complex societies, and a diverse history. Which makes total sense when you think about it, but hasn't been the picture taught in European and modern North American schools until recently.

And now I'm going to balance it with Leah McLaren's new book, "The Continuity Girl", thanks to dear Janice, who saw it in the grocery store line-up and thought of me. Lovely! Chick lit or fine literature? That's what I call a grey area.

Blog Archive