Friday, February 27, 2004

better than a poke in the eye

I walked out to Shelly's car this morning, as she was coming in to work holding two cups of takeaway coffee and her purse under her chin. "Good morning!" I said, to which she replied, "Well, its better than a poke in the eye, isn't it?"

"What?"

"Well, they called me back yesterday, you can stay with us for another two weeks, they'll allow that. I said to the guy, its better than a poke in the eye!"

She passed on the fax to me.

"Dear Ms. Noble.....your request for an extension of time is approved. You are permitted to work for this employer ... for a further two weeks as per departmental policy. No further permission will be granted on this visa. ... Sincerely Barry Mcindoe, Assistant Manager."

Yes, it certainly is better than a poke in the eye. So I'm there til March 15, and then who knows... Jacky and I might do a small travel together at the end of the month, she gets time off her hectic nanny schedule for her birthday, so maybe we'll hit up Ayers Rock (Uluru) or maybe New Zealand. Then perhaps I'll do a small road trip if certain friends are so inclined, then maybe... Tazzy? I don't know yet. I will start thinking about that tomorrow.

There are other things to consider: uni and housing and all that. I decided today that I would start saying goodbye to Sydney now, in order to get used to the idea. It's working, this morning I felt like crap and already by the afternoon I'm semi-OK with the idea. It might have something to do with the fact that its Friday afternoon and sunny and I'm about to go out to a party with dear friends, and also that Madeleine gave me a copy of Alicia Keys 'Songs in A Minor', but still...

Even if I have to write it backwards on my forehead so I see it every time I look in the mirror, even if I have to wear a big sign that says so, I will always know that life. is. good. No matter what.

Blog Archive